The girl I call a friend.

by 3:50 PM 0 comments

   "I'm sorry, but I can't be with you", the text message read. I sat there, staring at the screen of my phone.
   I didn't know what I was supposed to feel. Not because I was dumbfounded, or shocked to the point where my emotions were a total jumbled mess, but rather because I knew I was supposed to feel a range of emotions in situations like this, emotions such as despair, sadness, regret, and even a tinge of anger. 

   Instead, I felt relief. A feeling of finality. That somehow, life goes on. I realized, I didn't want to kiss her, or hug her, or do any of the things people in "relationships" were supposed to do. Rather, it was just the simple reality of normal friendship I valued. The texts normal friends send (at least to me), the times we had coffee chatting about stuff normal friends do, the ability to say "yes, she is a good friend of mine". I loved her but this friendship, I realized, was far more important to me than being able to call her my "girlfriend"; A superficial title at best, a trophy that men felt compelled to own at worst.

   I suppressed a smile as I texted back. "it's ok, we can be just friends then =)"

Juoin

Developer

Cras justo odio, dapibus ac facilisis in, egestas eget quam. Curabitur blandit tempus porttitor. Vivamus sagittis lacus vel augue laoreet rutrum faucibus dolor auctor.

0 comments:

Post a Comment